Welcome. This is an unofficial blog for Beaconsfield squash club.
Here you'll be able to access info about team matches, keep tabs on divisional positions,
and get updates on squash and racketball events and any forthcoming social activity.
It could also be the place to start (and end) rumours, and indulge in healthy banter.
There's bound to be the odd thing that offends; but that's alright isn't it, us being adults?
If you're truly miffed just email me and I'll remove the offending article.
You'll also be able to post a blog yourself; I am your host so, simply email me your piece/rant/match report/poetry/recipe for tripe to:
trev@lisacottage.demon.co.uk
I'll put it up 'in the cloud' and folk will then be able to comment or heckle...
So come on, email your pieces or add your comments below what is already posted there.

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Super 2nds v Bulls (7/12/11)

Match Report: Gazza
Where to begin! The evening started with a packed gallery watching the super competitive and highly talented James play the rapidly improving Natalie. More about that later. Let’s just say that the seeds of the storm that came later were sown around about this time. It wasn’t an evening for the faint hearted and of course Trevor was very much at the epicenter of things.



James v Natalie   
 A fascinating match in which all spectators were given a treat and at the same time a glimpse to the future with 2 fine younger players. James came third in The Swiss Open last weekend and is due to rise to 2 in Europe for his age group. Natalie took the first tight game 9-7 and James came back strongly to win the 2nd 9-4. The rallies were often long, skillful and with excellent retrieving. James went on to take the 3rd 9-7 and looked in control. The 4th game was mammoth and James I believe had match points but Natalie came back superbly to nip it 10-8. Final game -  the gallery was tense, both parents had arrived by this time and Natalie managed to take it 9-6.    3-2 to Natalie

Toby v Dave Fielding
I unkindly mentioned 2 words as I saw Dave, “lamb and slaughter”! I was to later eat my words as Dave played a blinder, apparently his front of court game was deadly (I think he should be drug tested or checked for a identical twin brother). After 2 games it was one a piece and Dave surged ahead in the 3rd. Toby managed to close out 9-7 and took the 4th 9-5.   3-1 win to Toby  

Kevin v Jim
Jim really wanted to know in the showers post match if I really thought he had a big bum!? He was puzzled at my reference to his well filled shorts and assumed the worst! “Thighs man” I proclaimed as a fellow big thigh sufferer. Well Jim’s lost half a stone and has never lost to the tubbier Kev. Jim won the 1st to 3 points and took the 2nd to love! Kev 2-0 down. At the same time I was playing Trevor and it became clear that I would probably have to win for the 2nds to win the match. Well Kev dug deep from a more shallow well and pulled it back to 2-2. Final game – it was tight but Jim was sublime. Quick, clever little shots and an absolute peach of a top spin forehand volley drop into the front forehand corner nick to win the match.    Jim won 3-2   Well played Jim, a top and feared Bull.

Chris v Nigel  
I really thought this match would be closer, no disrespect to either player. Nigel has been getting stronger in recent weeks and beat Chris in a recent league match. But Chris was not having any of it and won 9-3, 10-8 & 9-5.

I have saved the worst until last!

Gareth v Big Bad Trev (stroppy Bull)
“There’s a conspiracy out there”, cried Trevor. (untrue. Ed) After the match he told me that he made it very clear to Kev that the one person that he didn’t want marking his match was Bob. He went on to then say that he then saw Kev ask Bob to mark! (Very true. Ed). Then it began. 
I took the first 10-8 and Trev the 2nd10-8, 1-1. At the end of the third there were a couple of decisions that went my way that sent Trevor apoplectic! “I demand a different marker now”, said Trevor. (I actually said 'please'. Ed)  A lot of what was said I have managed to forget and Bob carried on marking. The atmosphere was charged and I think in a perverse “John McEnroe” way in helped Trevor to play what many said later was the best squash that Trevor has played for a long while. With those decisions I won the 3rd. Trevor all fired up won the 4th 9-7 (9-1 actually. Ed) and so again that night another 5 setter. But knowing Kev was 2 down and the whole match likely to be 2-2 the final game was worth 5 points to the winning team (includes the 4 point win bonus). We got to around 5-5 and the business end was upon us. I managed to summon up a bit extra and upped the pace to win 9-5. Final irony was that the winning point was a stroke (an obvious one) against Trevor. I won 3-2      

Match score 3-2 and 17-9 in points. Laugh of the evening? At the table Trevor was explaining how to post an anonymous comment to a blog on the unofficial club website. This went on for 5-10 minutes. The moment Trev finished Nigel asked him how to do it! Nigel, mentally, where did you go to and can I come next time?!

Thanks to all the players who played for the 2nds this half. Phil, get well soon and to Neil, no more pi*s ups, your team needs you on 24th January!
Gareth     

1 comment:

  1. Gareth,
    I saw Neil on the train back from London late Tuesday night...must have been a good p***up! ..I'm not sure 24th jan will be long enough to recover
    StJ

    ReplyDelete