Welcome. This is an unofficial blog for Beaconsfield squash club.
Here you'll be able to access info about team matches, keep tabs on divisional positions,
and get updates on squash and racketball events and any forthcoming social activity.
It could also be the place to start (and end) rumours, and indulge in healthy banter.
There's bound to be the odd thing that offends; but that's alright isn't it, us being adults?
If you're truly miffed just email me and I'll remove the offending article.
You'll also be able to post a blog yourself; I am your host so, simply email me your piece/rant/match report/poetry/recipe for tripe to:
trev@lisacottage.demon.co.uk
I'll put it up 'in the cloud' and folk will then be able to comment or heckle...
So come on, email your pieces or add your comments below what is already posted there.

Wednesday 23 January 2013

Bulls v Chesham Bois Wrinklies


Last night a "full strength" Bulls team entertained the Olds Boys of Chesham.

Now I know our club has never been famed for its warm courts but has our Chairman ran out of coins to put in the meter?  Sub zero squash has never been much fun, especially for the physically or mentally infirm.  I detected an absence of enthusiasm from our old boys and their old boys for the conditions but we all put on extra layers, put the snow tyres on the zimmer frames and took to the court.

First up was Koala, to face Neal Gibbons.  Before the game Kevin did mention he'd pulled his achilles.  I applied all I had to hand (an energy gel, which I thought might work as a placebo) to said achilles and expected him back 5 mins later.  He took the first game in a blaze of errors from Neal.  Neal then found some form in the second which, helped by kev's apparent desire not to get the ball past the T, gave Neal the second game.  Kevin then took the next two games 9/7 each with the occasional wince (or wink, it was never obvious) to the gallery.  Well done Koala.  He's manning-up big style.

Whilst I was impeccably marking the Koala's game, Chicken (Jim) was doing an absolutely fantastic job of marking The Fox against Jeremy.  I didn't see the game (for which see Trev's report), but there were questions afterwards about the "doubler" incident.  This didn't refer back to Trev's hedonistic rock and roll years, but the fact that Jim could see what no one else could (or would admit to).  It's not for me to judge the situation, but in my time in the Bulls, I have had heard and received similar allegations from Trev. I am sure Trev is in the right sometimes……………

Whilst the Fox was licking his wounds, I marked the first game in Camel's match against Steve Hunt.  You’d think a droppy, lobby, boasty sort of game would suit the cold courts.   Possibly.  But not if the error rate is in the upper quartile and the movement of the players is "statuesque".  After a few rallies, I did wonder if I should change the ball to a red spot.   And then after I'd already awarded a couple of lets (and the game was stuck at 1-1 after a dozen handouts), I did recommend that both players tried harder to clear the ball and it was no excuse that "the ball is cold and you're both old".  Sorry both, quite uncalled for.  It was a close game, with the Camel succumbing to a stroke at 9-9.  The Fox then returned and took over. The scorecard shows a close game with the Camel edging it 3-2. 

In the space of that one game, The Chicken despatched Chris Jordan.  I suspect it was something of a clash of styles, with The Chicken promoting a more tactical rally approach and Chris going for winners at every opportunity.  The winners didn’t happen and The Chicken won 9-6, 9-2, 9-0.

I then went on at 9pm against Richard.  In the warm-up, I was delighted to see he liked to hit it pretty hard, could move about a bit and most importantly was definitely a bit older than me.  My game plan became obvious.  Rally it until his legs fall off.  It didn't work of course.  He had the fitness of a spaniel, the retrieval abilities of, erm, a retriever and was just generally very dogged (sorry).  He took the first 9/4, I took the second 9/4.  We then got into a battle in the third.  Despite very clear guidance from the gallery (drop it - "he's standing so far back, he's in the ladies showers"), I continued with the plan, served at least twice for the third game and then tinned it in an attempted reverse boast to lose it 9-10.  I blame Koko's attendance for me trying such a deft shot and my own inflexible tactics.  Although I thought I still felt the stronger, I lost the fourth 0-9.  Clearly more work to do.

A good result (14-9) moving us above the Upstarts, against whom we play next week.  Come on the old Bulls!

Pig

PS: Chesham Old Boys, I know you read these reports.  Have we got a Mole in the Bulls menagerie?


No comments:

Post a Comment